If your hair is breaking, shredding or feels really dry, you can show it some love by giving it a hot oil treatment.
What’s great about these treatments, is you can use almost any kind of natural oil — it’s really about what you prefer and what works best for your hair.
I like to make my own oil mixture and I tend to use a combination of coconut, JBCO (Jamaican Black Castor Oil), olive, jojoba, argan and grapeseed oil.
Follow these easy steps...
- Put your oil(s) in a heat proof plastic bottle/container or glass container.
- Heat up the oil by putting your bottle/container in a pot or tub of hot water for 2 minutes. DO NOT heat the oil in the microwave because it will lose the nutrients.
- Test the oil on your wrist before using so you don’t burn yourself.
- Section your hair into 4-6 sections to make distribution easier and less messy.
- Massage the oil into your scalp for 2-4 minutes.
- Cover your hair with a plastic cap to retain heat and moisture.
- Keep the oil on your hair for at least 30 minutes. Leave in overnight for better results.
- Rinse the oil out of your hair and then use your shampoo or cowash to cleanse.
For added moisture
Wet a towel with warm water and wring it out. Wrap the warm towel around your head for 20-30 minutes. Alternatively I put a damp towel in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds to warm it up. Don’t worry if the towel cools off, the process is still working.
For dry scalp and dandruff
Add 1-2 drops of tea tree oil to your mixture.
Your hair should be noticeably softer, stronger and may even have a more prominent sheen. If you do this regularly you should get far less breakage than you normally do when shampooing and detangling your hair.
Enjoy your healthier hair!