Tell us your name and where you are from?
Hi everyone! My name is Allyson Trunzer. I live in Toronto, Canada, and work as a theatre/ dance performer, dance teacher’s assistant and barista. I’m also finishing up studies to become a certified ESL teacher.
How long have you been natural?
I’ve never relaxed my hair, but I did have a history of using generalised products, chemical bleaches/dyes and flat ironing. I discontinued flat ironing and started investing in more natural products in the fall of 2013. I also started using henna in replacement of chemical dyes since this past summer.
Why did you make the decision to go natural?
Earlier in 2013, I experienced a lot of breakage/ shedding plus heat damage from sun exposure and constantly flat ironing my hair. In the fall of 2013, I got a job at Toronto’s popular and trendy natural hair, skincare & wellness store, Honeyfig. It was there that I was encouraged to stick to a consistent regimen, be aware of product ingredients and start treating my hair on a consistent basis. My hair has been a lot stronger, fuller, and healthier ever since!
What is your hair type/texture?
I have 3b/ 3c curls and finer strands.
Describe your styling regimen over the course of a week.
I’ll do a wash n’ go then style my hair in a pineapple, high bun or low ponytail during the week.
Describe a typical washday.
“Wash day” is usually on a Saturday or Sunday and I wait 7 days before the next one. I’ll style it as a wash n’ go, then on the second/ third day, I’ll re-mist my hair with water and reapply a bit of leave in conditioner/ styler. If I’m working out a lot during the week, I’ll co-wash 3-4 days after the weekend, skip the conditioner and follow up with the leave in and styler.
My typical “wash day”:
- Wash w/ Earthtones Naturals’ Curl Cleanse Moisturizing & Conditioning Shampoo. Apply and rinse with warm water.
- Deep Condition w/ Brown Butter Beauty’s Babassu Butter Love. Leave in and use wide-tooth comb or fingers to detangle. Rinse out after 30 minutes with cool water. (Once/ month I use Bekura’s Vanilla Whiskey Repairing Hair Soak as a protein treatment instead of BBB).
- Scrunch out excess water out of hair with old cotton T-shirt.
- Apply leave in (Design Essentials Natural Almond & Avocado Leave In Conditioner) and rake through hair with fingers.
- Style with Design Essentials Daily Moisturising Lotion w/ Jojoba Oil, and a dab of Morrocco Method’s Euro Oil to seal & finish!
NB: Once my hair is less damp, I use my fingers to tease/ shake out my roots for volume.
What is your favourite go to hairstyle?
I put my hair in a high bun on the daily!
List your top 5 products and why.
- Favourite Shampoo: Earthtones Naturals’ Curl Cleanse Moisturiing and Conditioning Shampoo
- Favourite Protein Deep Conditioner: Bekura Vanilla Whiskey Repairing Hair Soak
- Favourite Leave In: Design Essentials Natural Almond & Avocado Leave In
- Favourite Styling Gel: Earthones Natural’s Curl Define Curl Enhancing Gelly
- Favourite Styling Butter: Darcy’s Botanicals’ Sweet Cocoa Bean Moisturizing Hair Whip
NB: Some of these brands are made in Canada and are available online @Honeyfig.
If you could give advice to someone currently transitioning or thinking of transitioning, what would it be?
Keep in mind that the process is about trial and error and what may work for you, may not work for someone else and vice versa. It’s just important to remain patient, read the product labels, and monitor which ingredients work best for your hair. Just being consistent and focusing on the health of you hair rather than immediate style will give your hair better results in the long run!
Do you have a webpage/blog/twitter account where people can find you?
Facebook: Allyson Reanne Trunzer